Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Re-Cre8 Profile: TerraCycle Inc.


TerraCycle Inc. is a really cool concept for a business. The co-founders Tom Szaky and Jon Beyer, begun with the idea for a profitable yet eco-friendly and socially responsible business. Their first product turned food waste into plant food sold in re-used soda bottles. Now, they have a suite of products available at major retailers, such as Target.

The company actually pays you to send them your trash (specific trash) and uses that as the raw material for their products. You could get a cork board from waste corks, a Capri-Sun pencil case, or many others - you get the idea.

So, check it out...

2 comments:

Gabriel Girl said...

Hi! Wow, that's a really cool idea!

I'm "Samantha," the girl who wrote in to The Simple Dollar. I was blown away to see all the advice that started pouring in!

I just wanted to thank everyone personally. I think that the current environment is one of cynicism and distrust - it's really nice when something like this shows that there are lots of wonderful, thoughtful people in the world. Thanks so much for taking the time to write!

Your advice is absolutely spot on. Nest eggs are exactly what I need to be working on.

By the way, I just want to mention that I've recently started a blog of my own - www.alternativelivings.blogspot.com. It's all about ways to earn money outside of a traditional 9-5 job (as a college student, I'm very interested in this subject :) ) Please feel free to drop by, I'd love to keep in touch!

Gabriel Girl said...

By the way, I love the theme of your blog. I'm a big proponent of finding ways to reuse items. It's mostly frugality, but also respect for the environment. I even created a jewelry business - I hand craft beads out of magazines, and either sell the beads themselves or make them into jewelry. It's a fun way to finance a hobby :) Here's a link to some of my creations: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6483464

Those fun little bags you made out of pants are adorable!