About a year ago, my husband and I made the decision that we would make all our own bread for the family. This was one part frugality, 1 part eating healthier, and 1 part that we like to make stuff. So, we pulled our bread maker out of storage, brushed off the dust, searched for recipes online, and got started. We make a whole wheat sandwich bread for the kids as well as a multigrain bread for ourselves, our kids like to call it the “grown up bread”.
I honestly had a lot of trouble finding a good whole wheat multigrain bread. Here was my criteria for the perfect bread:
- 100% whole wheat flour along with other whole grains for the health benefit.
- A little bit on the sweeter side.
- Dense and filling, but not a brick.
- Moist, not dry.
- Containing Omega-3 Fatty Acids for the Good Cholesterol Benefits.
- 13 oz Warm Water
- 2 Tbsp Yeast Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Molasses
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Nonfat Dried Milk
- 2 ¾ Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Gluten
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp Toasted Wheat Germ
- 1/3 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/3 Cup Rolled Oats (Toasted)
- 1 Tbsp Flax Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax Seeds
We use a bread machine to make the dough, but we cook it in the oven. We’ve also made it totally in the bread machine.
- Proof the yeast in all the water according to your brand’s instructions.
- Combine ingredients in the order they are listed.
- Either use your bread machine dough setting or knead by hand accordingly.
- Let the dough rise ~ 1 hr.
- Knock the dough down, form into a loaf, and place in a 9-in. loaf pan.
- Let rise for another hour.
- Bake at 325* for ~30 min. Remove from loaf pan. If sides and bottom are still moist, return to oven for 10-15 min.
- Slice and enjoy.