Friday, February 13, 2009

ReCre8 Bread Crusts: Bread Crust Casserole

I don't know about you, but my kids do not like bread crusts. Especially not the bread crusts from the homemade bread machine bread we make (it tends to be just a little hard on the crusts). I could battle it out and try to force them to eat it, but I like a peaceful meal time.

Since I am taking part in Crunchy Chicken's Food Waste Reduction Challenge, I got to thinking, how can I use these bread crusts rather than just throw them in the composting bin as I have been doing? (Because, to be honest with you, I don't really like eating the crusts either!)

So, I tried out this bread crust casserole and I think it was a pretty good success. (BTW, I count it a success if all the adults eat it and at least one of the kids - so I don't set the bar TOO high!)

So, here's how I did it...

First, I saved all the bread crusts and ends of loaves that got dry in the freezer for a few weeks. I also saved leftover chicken, broccoli, onion, and other vegetables.

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
  • 3 cup bread crusts
  • 1 Tbsp. bread crumbs (you can make these by blending up some of the bread crusts)
  • 1-2 cup vegetable leftovers (I used celery, broccoli, and onions)
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. First, whisk together the eggs, milk, yogurt, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese (save the 2 Tbsp. for later). Cut up the bread crusts to about 1-inch. lengths. Spread out the bread crusts, chicken, vegetables, and cheddar cheese in a casserole dish. Pour on the wet ingredients. Let everything soak in for 5 minutes or so. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and the remaining parmesan cheese.

Put in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes (until the top turns a golden, crispy brown).

Remember, it's casserole, so, in my opinion, all the ingredients are negotiable! I'm not the best recipe writer, so if you have any ways to improve the directions, please let me know!

P.S. I didn't get a picture, but next time I make it, I'll update this post.

2 comments:

Jenni at My Web of Life said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm also doing Crunchy's Food Waste Challenge and the kids' scraps are the toughest to deal with. This recipe looks great and helps use up some of those extra veggies hanging around, too!

Good luck on the challenge!

The Simpleton said...

That sounds great--I can't wait to try it. We eat a lot of bread pudding, too, despite not being huge dessert people.

I left some ideas about weevils at Crunchy's space. Now I feel like a knowitall. :) Good luck with those crusts.